I guess you came here via our Patreon page.
This site, project and github repository are about helping unprivileged children from Romania get fast access to the Internet, and especially start programming in Golang using a tailored Go course in the Romanian language we create.
Go is a modern programming language invented at Google (by one of the founders of the C programming language). This language was designed from the get go to be simple to learn, safe to use, with built-in support for concurrency and multi platform.
In Computer Science engineering speak: concurrency is the capacity of a program to run inside a computer on all installed processors at the same time, and true multi platform means you write your program once, but then compile & use it on various computer types: from the very small like Pi, to tablets, laptops, desktops, up to room sized servers.
- it’s my home country. I’m paying it forward.
- while gifted Romanian students have graduated every year from US Ivy League Universities, had or are still working at Google/ Microsoft/ Amazon/ Facebook/ other Fortune 50 companies, the country as a whole has not changed (that) much. And the real reasons are too many to list here, unfortunately.
- its Internet infrastructure is top notch (#5 worldwide)
- the cheapest monthly Internet subscription at one of the leading national providers is today 30 RON, or about 7,15 USD and gives you 300Mbps download with 150Mbps upload. Hello Western Europe?!
- Raspberry Pi 3 B+ has 4 cores (small processors) and 300Mbps network interface, asking for Golang programmers 🤓
What are you gifting to a Romanian child?
- Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Ultimate Starter Kit €80
- keyboard with built-in trackpad (wireless) €20
- professional network cable €9
- delivery costs from Amazon.de to Romania, about €10
P.S: the project is at the moment a private initiative (and we have started the oficial registation in Romania as a Non Profit).
From my side, my supporters, and likely the future computer science careers we’re likely to shape together: I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your hard earned contribution and we’ll be forever in your debt.
Ciprian & co