Hi there, #
This project site is about helping unprivileged children from Romania to learn programming in Golang using a tailored programming course for children created by Ciprian Manea in the Romanian language.
Golang is a modern programming language invented at Google (by one of the creators of the C programming language). This language (Go) was designed from the get go to be simple to learn, safe to use, with built-in support for concurrency and multi platform.
In Computer Science engineering speak: concurrency is the capacity of a program to run inside a computer on all installed processors at the same time, and true multi platform means you write your program once, but then compile & use it on various computer types: from the very small like RPi, to tablets, laptops, desktops, up to room sized servers.
- it’s my home country. I’m paying it forward.
- while gifted Romanian students have graduated every year from US Ivy League Universities, had or are still working at Google/ Microsoft/ Amazon/ Facebook/ other Fortune 50 companies, the country as a whole has not changed (that) much. And the real reasons are too many to list here, unfortunately.
- its Internet infrastructure is top notch (#5 worldwide)
- the cheapest monthly Internet subscription at one of the leading national providers is today 30 RON, or about 7,15 USD and gives you 300Mbps download with 150Mbps upload. Hello Western Europe?!
- a Raspberry Pi computer has 4 cores (small processors) and a fast network interface, asking for Golang programmers 🤓
What are we gifting to a Romanian child? #
- an Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB RAM Starter Kit
- a (wireless) keyboard with built-in trackpad
- AAA batteries for the (wireless) keyboard
- a professional network cable (up to 10Gbit/s)
- an Official Raspberry Pi Beginner’s Guide
NOTE: the project is now oficially registered in Romania as a Non Profit / NGO named “Asociația unPi pentru Școlari” #
Ciprian & co